From: "flash"

Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 6:30 PM
Subject: Re: Xy on Mac OS X

Andy, ≪the charger just turns me off≫ If it were only that simple! What Mac laptop are you using? PowerBook G4 series with power pc processor (up to about three years ago, 2005), or a newer Intel processor(s) model? Also, what version OS X? 10.3.x (Panther), 10.4.x (Tiger), or 10.5.x. (Leopard)? The answers to these questions determine how best to get Xy running on your Mac. I attach two screenshots so you can see the difference. I have a pre-Intel Mac G4 notebook running Panther, and a MacPro tower with dual-quad-core Intel processors and LEOPARD. You get there by running the mouse to the the top left of the desktop screen (to the apple symbol), clicking "about this mac" and then "more info". Once we have ascertained what hardware and OS X version you are running, we can determine whether you need a DOS emulator or not. The long and short of it is this: if you have a Mac with Intel processors, it is going to be easier to get an old DOS program running, than if you have a previous non-Intel processor model. But even with a non-Intel processor, it is possible. In addition to myself, there are at least two others running Xy on Macs at this forum, Lisa Kl. and Russ Ur., so don't give up. Cheers, (PS my Intel Mac speaks German--"entschuldigung". The English version will look very similar though. Either the word "Intel" is in there or it isn't; you can't miss it.)