wc

Y'all,

I am getting different word counts in xy3 and xy4 for the same file, and
not a little divergent. xy3 counts 69,625, whereas xy4 counts 11,585.
(OpenOffice 3.4.1 counts 11,002, and MS-Word-for-Mac-2011 counts 26,654).

The original file was generated by Excel, but as Excel apparently has no
wc function--DUH--, I resorted to exporting it as unicode text, then
opened it in the above-mentioned text editors, with mixed results.

This is important, as my translation fee depends on an accurate word
count. Any suggestions would be welcome (some workaround from Excel, or
other export options, for example).

Cheers,