Version confusion.

                         Michael Edwards.

   Amongst many recent postings has been some comment about the relative
merits of versions 3 or 4, although I must admit that I don't follow it all, due
to my igorance about the detail of the program. But it would appear that these
versions have different strengths, and that I should not assume that the latest
version is necessarily the best one to get.
   I've been offered a recent version for sale by a list member, and I feel I
will probably accept that offer, if someone else doesn't pick it up in the
meantime while I'm trying to decide what to do. But first I have a couple of
questions, when I can get them in order, I would like to put to the list before
going ahead and buying that version.

   However, for now I would like to ask: if I were to buy a new copy by the
usual means (which I take to be from The Technology Group), would only the most
recent version 4 be available anyway? I suppose if I can't buy version 3 anyway
(other than if I can find someone who wants to sell their copy or who has a
spare copy for sale) it's all academic anyway. But are there good reasons why I
might do well to consider looking for version 3 rather than 4?
   I was also interested to read that version 3 was "castrated" in some manner
after a certain version because of a law-suit. (A pretty unfortunate reason to
have to change a program, it strikes me.) It was to do with the search and
replace function. Once again, I didn't follow this properly, but it sounds like
some people think the last "uncastrated" version 3 is the best. Would it be
worthwhile (and not too difficult) to try looking for that?

   Does anyone have any thoughts about these version questions - or should I
forget it all and just accept the recent version 4 I've been offered?
   Thanks.

             Regards,
             Michael Edwards.