Fax brainstorm for W95

Win 95 can run Windows program from the DOS command line -- which you can get
to from within XyWrite 4.x for DOS or even XyWrite III.

I'm working on a program that will:
1. Save the current file as an RTF temp file.
2. Shell out to DOS, and invoke WordPad, loading the temp file at the same
time (because the WordPad command will take a filename in its command line
argument).

I've already tried this piece from the command line:

dos/x/nv /c \"program files"\accessories\wordpad -faxtmp.rtf

and it works like a charm. And I have a program file that does the RTF save
(adapted from files I've posted here before, IN.PGM and OUT.PGM). I've just
got to splice everything together and test it. The whole thing could be
loaded onto a hotkey.

When the RTF file comes up in WordPad, all you do is either print to a fax
device or invoke Send from the File menu. When the fax has been sent, you
quit WordPad and XyWrite reappears.

Disadvantage: you'll lose font info and graphics. But boldface and other
stuff should come thru OK.

I have most of the code written or in my head, but if somebody beats me to
it, fine!

I'll keep you - uh - posted.

Tim Baehr
tbaehr@xxxxxxxx