Re: 98 again

Nathan Sivin wrote:

> You might want to think about upgrading Netscape from 4.72 or
> 4.74 to 4.76, still available from Netscape's web site last time
> I looked. This does take care of a certain number of esoteric
> bugs.

The most important bug I had heard of was that the feature for
identifying a "secure" site (for e-commerce, banking online, etc.)
was not really working, at least up through 4.73. Supposedly this
was fixed, but I'm not sure if that happened as of 4.74, 4.75, or
4.76. But then, I don't believe in doing any of that stuff online
anyway, so I'm not sure it matters to me.

> If you have an uninstall manager, it is a good idea to use
> it, since there is no way to avoid installing a certain amount of
> AOL garbage that most users don't want.

The last Win-32 version I put on was 4.74. (In OS/2, which is what I
mainly run, the version has been frozen at 4.61 for a couple years,
though there have been a couple of bugfix refreshes in that time,
which did not change the official version #.) There seemed to be an
even division of opinion re "Uninstall the old ver. first" vs.
"Install the new ver. Overtop." I went with the latter, and saw no
ill effects. (Doing this with an individual app. pales in
significance, compared with upgrading your OS this way. And I'm not
talking about OS fixpacks or Service Packs, here.) Anyway, all
Netscape preferences & Profiles were preserved, as was existing Mail,
etc.

I'm wondering exactly what AOL garbage you were referring to, and as
of what version it came into the product ? If you just meant the
Instant Messenger component and NS NetCenter defaults, they have been
there for awhile. I always deep sixed that junk in the process of
finishing up the install.

Jordan