Re: using oed

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Thu, 10
Nov 2005 16:02:17 GMT

> when I return to XY4, the screen colour intensity had fallen and I can only
> recover my usual intensity by quitting and reloading XY4

I can't reproduce that -- never seen anything like it, in six years of daily
use on many different computers. My color intensity is constant. In a
Window/Fullscreen? Are you setting colors with an external utility? Give me
an example -- you mean BOld loses intensity, or the background color changes,
or what? Operating system?

> in XYWin under similar circumstances, OED is invoked and the word definition
> found but then I am immediately returned to XYWin and I have to toggle back to
> OED to read the definition

Fixed in v119 (imminent). You need to get the latest OEDXP.EXE from XyWWWeb.
The meaning of the "OEDWait" REGistry variable has changed: it now represents
the time required to shell to DOS in XyWin or NBWin, issue a command, and then
return focus to XyWin or NBWin (set this to zero for Xy4). Only after that
happens is the OED opened -- and focus then *stays* with the OED. A major
difference between Xy4 and the Win versions of XyWrite|NB is that shelling to
DOS in the Win versions does not take place in XyWrite's own session, but
rather in a child of the session. When you exit a DOS shell in XyWin|NBWin,
you do not necessarily return to Editor (even though Editor is paused until the
child terminates -- it's the equivalent of "CMD /C START /WAIT"). It's
complicated; but it is expected behavior, and explains what you observed.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx