XyWrite and the writer

> >No, it's a DOS emulator (I think) that sits in my batch icons with all the
> >rest. I can't flip from one to the other,
>
> Not even if you hit alt-Tab?

Oh, I'll try that. I'm not very savvy about Windows either, except in the
things I use a lot.

> > but if I quit XyWrite, I'm in Windows
> >and can do anything I want there.
>
> As to your question as to why would you want to modify the keyboard
> assignments, do you use the Search command fairly often? You can have any
> key, say ctrl-F, put on the command line:
>
> se //
>
> leaving your cursor in between the two slashes, ready to type in the
> search-string.

So that's a modification, not something already there? I'm not sure I search
enough to make it worthwhile, but it's good to know. Thanks.

> Or, you can avoid having to stretch for the backspace key (and you do make
> mistakes, don't you?) by making the left bracket key into an extra backspace
> key.

Ouch. One of the reasons I've used the same wordprocessor for 15+ years is so I
never have to learn a change!

> Or, keep all your miscellaneous notes (telephone numbers, passwords,
> jottings) in a particular file, call it maybe notes.txt, then program a
> key, like alt-n, to bring it up in a new Xy Window.

Don't do that except that I have a notes file as part of each book subdirectory
and I just open it in a XyWrite window and toggle between.

I see what you mean, but as I said, I do nothing on my 486 but type into it and
my main obsession is never to change because everything is automatic now.

Of course I have to think about things on the lap top because I don't have the
F keys at the left so it might be worth some amendments there. I'll think about
that.

Jo