TTG. . .You Win! I Admit It!

September 8, 1995

Kenneth Frank, and TTG. . .You win. Yes, that's right, I admit,
you win, I give up. I admit defeat. I have tried to get a
workable product for over four years now and I think it is time
to throw in the towel.

I received the latest and greatest version of XyWrite (that would be
4.017) and all I can say is WHAT HAS CHANGED!? I can't find
anything that has changed, it acts the same as 4.016. Some of
the problems that I was having were suppose to be solved with
this update. But I don't think that is the case. So, you win, I
forfeit, concede, I was wrong, I apologize, I should know better
than to expect stable software.

In the future, I promise not to ask for solutions to problems like:

I have been having trouble with opening files over 150K that have
tables in them, I cannot get the settings in the
      Advanced->Preferences->Defaults->Screen-Colors
configuration screen to become the permanent settings for the
programme (even though the settings.dfl file has the correct
settings in the DF L4= string), I cannot edit text at ALL when I
am in graphics view, among other horrors, but I won't talk about
that any more, as I am certain you have _much_ more important
things to do.

I won't labour the fact that when I open a file that is over
about 150 kilobytes, one that has one or more tables in it, then
tell XyWrite to move to the bottom of the file, it decides that
it will switch views to the Page-Line mode, even though I
SPECIFICALLY told it to stay in draft mode. I can only assume
that XyWrite knows what I really need and not what I think I
want.

I won't continue to say that once it finishes moving into the
Page-Line mode, it then freaks out and moves to about the center
of the file and complains that a "Formatting command is not
recognized". Yet there is absolutely NO formatting command even
NEAR where the cursor lands and when there IS an embedded command
nearby, that command is operating as it should.

I won't go on to say that when I called Technical Support and
asked about this little difficulty (after having sent an email on
that same subject, then sitting on my thumb waiting for a reply),
I was told that I should upgrade to version 4.017, which I did!
And I certainly won't ask the obvious question, "Why in the HELL
does XyWrite demand that it MUST go into Page-Line view when it
encounters a table?"

Nor will I even mention the audible attitude shift after I
mentioned my name to the tech and sales desk. I guess I have
been a very bad boy and, again, I can only apologize for my
foolishness.

Nope, I have learned my lesson, I don't have to be hit more than
one hundred times or so before I get the hint to go away and stop
bothering you. You won't have to worry about me.

I realize that asking WHAT THE HELL EVER HAPPENED TO ORBIS and
why you have never answered that question concisely and directly,
is shear foolishness. I won't breath a word, nope, not me. And
I certainly won't ask about my 140 odd dollars that I paid for
the thing.

Nope, I have finally realized absurdity of my folly. How
nonsensical of me to assume that you might want to stabilize and
continue to develop the DOS product. How daft. That would mean
that you would have to support those who have thrived on past
versions of XyWrite; hangers on ALL. Best to cut them loose and
seek the new and innocent.

Silently waiting for my next slap upside the head:

Carter Campbell campbelc@xxxxxxxx carterc@xxxxxxxx
Calgary Alberta
Canada