Re: Assistance w/ MSWord?

On 13 Aug 99, at 9:36, Eric Van Tassel wrote:
> Though I hate to bring this group a query purely addressed to another and
> immeasurably inferior program, I don't know where else to turn.
>
> For some months now, each time I open a file in MSW it automatically
> enlarges itself. I just tried the following:
> click on "New"
> click on a "Template" file
> close the file immediately without saving
> Result in File Manager:
> former template file 1FAX-UK.DOT now renamed 1FAX-UK.BAK - size 7168
> new template file 1FAX-UK.DOT now added -         size 11776
>
> I don't know what made this new routine begin to happen; more important, I
> don't know exactly when it started, so I can't trace the change to some
> system file of a certain date. Can anyone suggest what Gatesian batch file
> or system file I should investigate?

Obviously it should not change that template without asking first.
Maybe you have one of those Word macro viruses. Check your
\Winword\Startup directory and see what files are in there. (Check
Tools>Options>File Locations to see where the startup dir is) Normally
you don't *need* anything in there. If you do have something in there,
move the files to somewhere word won't find them and try again.

-Robert Orndorff
Richmond, VA

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/orndorff