Re: W98 Question

 I realize that those (fully licensed) CDs were supposed to be
bundled with new systems only, but they have been disembodied and widely
sold on the grey market for years.

Jordan
Jordan,
It's easy to install these version in an used system (shortly: go to plain DOS, rename win.com to win.bak, boot from a W98SE diskette with CD-ROM support and start a new install from the CD to C:\Windows, or your system directory, avoiding the suggested C:\windows.001). If necessary, I'll give you more detail.
Best regards,
Manuel Castelao