Re: New Windows installer for vDos-lfn

Hi Kari,

First of all, thanks for testing the vDos-lfn installer!

Regarding the installer did not install config.txt and autoexec.txt as you mentioned, I have noticed that this only happened if the destination directory did not exist. This can be easily fixed. I have updated the installer to address this issue. You can try the new version.

Regarding multi-monitor support, since I never tried this feature myself, I will look at this later.

Regard the window size such as LINS = 43 and COLS = 80 as you mentioned, I think this is an issue with different settings. For example, in vDosXy "FRAME=ON" is the default setting, but in "regular" vDos and vDos-lfn "FRAME=OFF" is the default. When you use the same settings, I did not really notice any difference regarding window size when you set LINS=43 and COLS=80, both height and width, and there are indeed 43 lines instead of 40 lines in vDos-lfn during my testing. Thus, it is probably simply caused by some setting in config.txt.

Regarding the free conventional memory, please note that vDosXy is based on an old version of vDos, while vDos-lfn is based on the latest version of vDos. We know that in latest vDos, 4DOS becomes the shell instead of the built-in one as in older versions of vDos. If you run MEM.EXE from e.g. MS-DOS 7.10 within vDosXy and vDos-lfn, you will notice that the 4K difference is simply caused by the resident 4DOS shell. There was no 4DOS shell in vDosXy, so the difference.

Thanks again for your testing!

Wengier