Re: Replacing foreign characters

Reply to note from Robert Woods  Thu, 20 Sep 2001
13:14:08 -0700

> ...it's wonderful. I just wish there were a ASCII2ANSI, too.

We have one in development, but ... it could be a while. It isn't
easy, because whereas ANSI has a fairly limited set of chars that
translate to specific XyWrite chars 0-909, the XyWrite set varies
from font to font. There are unexpected characters in each Speedo
font that don't correspond to the published tables, and there are
often multiple choices -- you don't really know which one to select.
If you use TrueType, then there are entirely different
correspondences. Plus there are different correspondences with code
page 437 vs. 860. Not at all a straightforward conversion.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx