Re: "...XyWrite to its knees"

>>I'd very much welcome a spirited retort from Kenneth Frank, telling me how Smart Words has been debugged and how it can for example place footnotes as accurately as can Xy 3.56.

First, I will tell you that SmartWords is far from debugged. The
feature set for the first release is now complete, and the debugging
process has begun. Guaranteed that it has plenty of bugs, including I
am sure some of the old ones you all have mentioned. BTW, who compiled
the bug list I asked for a couple of months ago, and can I get it?

As to footnote placement, I don't know whether that has been fixed or
not. We actually use footnotes extensively as part of an automatic
annotation process for the smart documents the system can produce. I
have seen the problem you describe, and so far our annotations look
pretty good. For the most part each note is only a line or two, so
perhaps they are not a good test. We will be looking at that issue, and
if I need some good samples, I will certainly speak up.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a "spirited" retort, or even a retort but
I hope its helpful.

K.