hard returns in search and replace on Xy on xp

I find when I try in either search or search and replace when looking for or replacing a hard return using when using xy from the command prompt within Windows XP that when I press that Key stroke combination that Windows XP regards that as an instruction within Windows XP to transfer me out of Xywrite and into whatever window was open within Windows XP.  Does anyone else besides me have that problem.  Does anyone know how to stop this.  Help

mailto:avromf@xxxxxxxx