Re: XyWrite Mac DOSBox Printing

Robert Holmgren wrote:
> What's the advantage of a Mac over straight Linux? Or
> conversely, if the hardware and proprietary programs of a Mac
> are so much better than *nix, then why doesn't everybody buy a
> Mac? I'm trying to understand what niche they wish to occupy --
> and I really don't get it.

  Welllll --- I've been running linux since it first came out,
essentially. Back when we had to download it from Finland through the
university's VAX and then one floppy at a time with our 1200 baud
modems. It's what I run for servers, desktops, laptops -- heck, even my
linksys wifi router runs linux -- openwrt. I run linux on my ipaq.
  But I also have a Mac. Just for all those cool Mac apps for graphics
and desktop publishing and web design. And it's what I alway recommend
for Joe Homeuser. No muss, no fuss, no virus, no agonizing screwing
around trying to get something to install or figuring out why something
doesn't work anymore. Macs just seem to work better. Much better. That's
why the job market for Mac networks never paid very much -- pretty
simple work and not many headaches.
  My wife just bought her own computer, her first one. It's a new iMac,
20" screen, and with the PowerPC G5. Beautiful, elegant -- I love it.
She got the G5 instead of the Intel to make sure that it would work well
with older Mac apps. And because frankly, I think it's a much better
architecture and I'm really disappointed that Apple abandoned it.
  But here's the other thing about Macs -- they've never really been in
the same arena as the PC, they really have been the lower end of the
"workstation" market, like Sun and Indigo. If I weren't such a linux
freak, I wouldn't dream of owning anything but a Mac.

--
Harmon Seaver