Re: Save (backup)

At 12/15/2003 01:57 AM -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:
 To each
his own, of course -- but trusting a homemade CD ahead of a brand new hard disk strikes me as questionable. If the hard disk is going to fail, it usually does
so in the first couple of weeks.
I agree. All I was trying to do was determine if CD-RW was a reliable way
to save/backup on the road, or whether to elect a memory stick or a zip
drive or just a lightweight USB floppy. But you have raised an important
question that appears here frequently: what's the most reliable media for
backup (full) and save? I've been using a tape drive to backup my hard
drive and a ZIP drive to backup directories. I know that now with a CD
burner I can burn an "image" of my hard disk, but, as you ask, is that
medium reliable -- enough? Seems as if we always have to backup the backup?
(I used to think paper was a reliable medium, but students tell me that
cats like to feast on paper, term papers in particular.)

Michael Norman