Removing Extra MD Commands

Several months ago Robert Hemenway and I discussed publicly (#8646 and
subsequent thread) the intricacies of removing from documents all extra,
unnecessary MoDe statements, like ≪MDNM≫≪MDNM≫. They're insidious, and
seem to lurk in every file. I offered a program that performed this operation;
but that program proved to be flawed in important respects (replace it now!).
STRIPMD.ZIP, in the XyQuest Exchange "File section", contains new road-tested
programs that do a competent (but NOT guaranteed) job of removing superfluous
MoDe statements. Read the caveats in STRIPMD.DOC.