Re: Solution to Printing Problems (non-PCL, USB, etc.)

At 04:24 am 9.12.04, Robert Holmgren wrote:

> An alternative is the PrintFile software > PrintFile is recommended by Edward Mendelson on his WordPerfect 5.1 website, > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/ > which has some other ideas that may be of use too. David Kronenfeld brought that site to our attention a year or two ago. An extremely interesting and profitable page -- but I can't fathom the need for PrintFile. Without Postscript, PrintFile won't do anything more than handle an unformatted file, which is pointless.
*If* PrintFile did not do anything more than handle an unformatted file, it *would be* pointless, yes. But if you have a XyDOS or Nota Bene printer driver for your printer, you load that and print to disk, creating a temporary file with printer commands embedded, e.g., FO.TMP. PrintFile will take that file and write it to your printer, much as we used to be able to give a command like COPY FO.TMP LPT1: in the MS-DOS days of yore. The output is as formatted as your printer driver permits you to make it, so those who are happy with their current printer drivers may want to try this method.