Re: XyShell Clipboard and conversion of ANSI characters

** Reply to message from fenda@xxxxxxxx on Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:52:09 +0200

> CHCP works under Win98 SE but 1252 is not a valid code page in
> DOS environment (out of range).

CHCP 1252 is valid under Win2K.

> I also believe that it is not possible
> to set font to Lucida Console in a DOS box under Win98SE (Properties
> give me a set of bitmap or True Type fonts but without a specific name).

Possible under Win2K.

> how about Corel Ventura 5 or NetManage Ecco Pro..., for
> example

Check DejaNews ("Google Groups" now, I guess) -- you ought to get an answer
right away. Check the Ventura and NetManage websites! M$ also maintains a
compatibility list of apps that work with W2K. This is very easy to determine.
By the time of W2K ServicePack 3, its hard to believe that M$ hasn't ironed out
all the problems. Every Windows app I've ever tried works under W2K.

> If I follow the procedure you have outlined (vga FONT cp 1252.fnt), my
> keyboard doesn't work properly (the displayed characters are completely
> different to the ones I am attempting to write).

Set up an ANSI KeyBoarD file! Surely they're not "completely" different!
Surely in range 32-127, they're what they always were. So if you have
keystrokes that are dedicated to putting out high chars >127, remap them so
that they agree with ANSI. This should be very very easy to do -- how many
such keys do you have anyway? 10? 20? Easy! Create an ANSI.KBD, by starting
with your present KBD file, and making a few changes.

> I suppose it is due to
> the problem with the 1252 codepage in the DOS box before running editor.exe.

Well, you can launch Editor first, shell to DOS, issue the "VGA FONT
CP1252.FNT" command, and it will be in effect when you EXIT back to XyWrite.
But I don't think that will make any difference at all.

Also, you will experience the same keyboard anomalies if you change a Desktop
window to CodePage 1252.

> Moreover, I obtain an ugly effect: lines that surround XyWrite menus are
> replaced by different alpahnumeric characters (ú, Ä).

Well of course! It's "real ANSI". You wanted it, and you got it -- and its
very good, too. Anyway, all that is cosmetic, and you'll get used to looking
at it quickly. Let's be honest. What you really want is just to change a
*few* selected characters, and leave all the others the same as they were. A
very partial ANSI implementation. Well, you can do that too, manuelly so to
speak, using the FONTMAN utility (I think its called) included in the same
package as VGA. Just create your own custom screen font. Give it to your
friends! But I do believ you'll want to retain those "ugly" surround lines,
since ú and Ä are both characters you'll be wanting to see on-screen -- yes?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx