Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

Another well-known player, which might be more accessible (at $200 dollars a license), is dtSearch: http://dtsearch.com/index.html
I second that. dtSearch is stunningly capable and rapid. It can index the entire contents of a hard drive for instantaneous searching of any material, though the index can be large. I once used it to index a Mac hard drive via a network, to search for material Apple's own tools could not find. Speaking of search, I don't think we yet know what Win 8/8.1 does, or how. I am finding file searches slower but more comprehensive than under Win 7.