Re: XyDos 4.17 arrives

In article <303B2159@xxxxxxxx>,
"Beeson, Douglas"  wrote:
| Is the Random House dictionary integrated into XyDos or is it a stand-alone?
| I run XyWin and would like a similar tool.

It's a separate DOS program that you can activate as a TSR. I've made
CTRL+SHFT+D my hot key within XyDos. It works well together with
XyDos. Whatever word your cursor is on is passed to the dictionary as
a search argument. I'm not sure how it work with XyWin.

The dictionary resides on your hard disk in compressed format,
occupying 8.7 Mb. Lookups are quite fast. Etymologies are also
included, a useful feature. When I compared hard-disk-based
electronic dictionaries several years ago, the Random House was much
better and more complete than the American Heritage offering. This
situation, however, may have changed.

Dan Kanagy     Work: wordwise@xxxxxxxx    Play: dkanagy@xxxxxxxx
Tokyo, Japan                       dkanagy@xxxxxxxx