Re: Messing with AUTOEXEC.BAT

Marv said:

> I've had plenty of experience editing the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT > files
in DOS, but I've been reluctant to do it in OS/2. Did do some > CONFIG.SYS
editing, and ended up having to reinstall much of OS/2 to > correct some
problems. Well, perhaps I wouldn't really have had to > reinstall, but that was
the only solution I could come up with after

  Yes, the config.sys in OS/2 is very interesting. You really want to be sure
you understand what you are doing before messing with it. There's a utility
available on hobbes that lets you choose different config.sys upon boot up, so
if the new one doesn't work, you can use the old one, then re-edit the new one.
Can't remember what it's called since I never tried it, but a friend says if
works well. I just keep an emergency boot floppy with HPFS on it, also chkdsk
and tiny editor, so when I screw up I boot with that and edit the config.sys.
Don't have to do that much anymore. 8-) 8-) 8-).
  But changes in the autoexec.bat only affect your dos sessions, they don't
cause crashes on boot, like the config.sys. It pays to really thoroughly read
the on-line docs on things like device drivers etc before you go futsing around
with them. Kinda' hard to read the on-line docs after you screwed up and the
system won't boot, isn't it?
  Here's a hint, tho. Instead of reinstalling -- all you have to do is boot up
with the first two disks, hit escape when its on the second disk and asks you
if you want to go ahead, that will take you to the a: prompt. then you go to
c:\ drive (you might have to use chkdsk off the third disk if you crashed
bigtime) and in the root directory, delete the config.sys, and just copy the
config.bak to config.sys -- then always go back to the a: drive before
rebooting the system (taking the disk out, of course). This gives you your old
settings. You can also rename the config.sys to some other name instead of
deleting it, so you can look at it to see what didn't work, in case you aren't
sure. I also try not to make more than one change at a time -- when I get some
really hare-brained idea, eh?

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx

<> "The Way of the Samurai is death." - Jocho Yamamoto 1710 Hagakure <>
<> "Let no man's life stand in the way -- especially your own."    <>
<>                    Miyamoto Musashi 1584-1645  <>
<> "The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am here <>
<> and you are out there."              Yasutani Roshi  <>