Re: OT: query regarding HTML

Well, I think it comes down to convenience, practicality, versatility -- and personal preference.  Almost nothing is more portable than hard copy.  Suppose you happen to be working on something in the garage (I concede that those may be uncommon in NYC . . . ), or somewhere else where not only is there no room for an extra monitor, but there is no room for even one ?  The only thing that might compete in this scenario is Kari's idea of a tablet, paired with strong WiFi !

   Jordan

From: Harry Binswanger
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: OT: query regarding HTML

Then we can ask the deeper question: is there an objective value in printing these things out, as opposed to having them available onscreen?

I'm not saying the answer is "No," but some of us old guys (like me) are operating on momentum from the past way of doing things. A student of mine (now a philosopher in his late 30s) says he never prints out anything.

In regard to sites that give instructions, I highly recommend having at least two monitors (I have three) so you can read the instructions on one while you implement them on another. It's amazing the time and frustration that saves.

Meaning no disrespect.

Thanks, Carl.

I just wanted to note that I often rely upon good step-by-step instructions in the tech sphere, and I would usually much rather print that out as a hardcopy reference, as opposed to having to have a running computer close by.  That reference value greatly benefits from illustrations and color coding.  While I can appreciate the proprietary nature of many web-published materials, such a reference is for personal use only.  If it can't readily be saved or printed, it raises the question of whether the purveyors of said material truly wished it to be able to help anyone.

   Jordan