Re: OT: CD Longevity

> Perhaps like many of you, I've been putting a lot of reliance into the
> medium of CDs, for storage, backup, etc. It is quite possible this
> reliance has been misplaced. I am thinking of the (to date) 3 data
> CDs from 2000 I've discovered that have become unreadable, although
> these were not made by me. I'm not sure if any that I have burned
> fall into this category.
>
> Check out this short piece + User Reports:
>
>   http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7751
>
> There are some graphics, which may not render in older browsers.
>
> I don't see why this would not also apply to DVDs, where the data
> capacity would result in a much greater loss. When you think about
> this, the implications for archival storage of all kinds of important
> material is potentially dire.
> Jordan
-------------
	So do as we did in the days of 8-bit processors
	and CP/M and print out the hex code for retyping
	into the computer.  ;-)

	No, there have been questions about CDROM-R archives
	and the cheaply plated ones many people are using.
	There are quality issues and quality CD-R

	But doubling up might copies be an idea, along with
	saving to Hard Drives formatted in a 'universal'
	format (NTFS? ETF3, FAT16?)

	Switch to MP3 storage?
--------
  Last Updated: Wednesday, 4 August, 2004, 14:59 GMT 15:59 UK
  Is music safe on compact disc?
  By Tom Bishop
  BBC News Online entertainment staff

...." Spool Multi Media said while "most CD manufacturers aim for high
  standards", faults still occasionally develop.

  "When the CD is made, protective lacquer is dropped onto each disc,
  which is spun to spread the lacquer to its outer edges," said Mr
  Varley.

  "If this is not done properly, the lacquer may not cover the disc,
  enabling air to penetrate and oxidise the aluminium. Over time, this
  rusting effect can ruin the CD."