Re: OT: Zone Alarm

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> Anybody know how far a wireless AP's radio
> broadcasts? There are
> one or two wireless networks visible from my flat.
> It's not the
> business downstairs, because I asked/warned them.
> Could an AP
> next door (pretty close, the buildings are only
> 30-odd feet wide
> and almost touch) be visible here? Up one flight?

Patricia,

I'm thinking the answer would be "it depends," with
one of the variables being local building materials.
At one house I've been a guest at, there is one large
room where reception drops off to zilch. We've tried
various wifi solutions in there, some much stronger
than others, but it doesn't seem to matter. Turns out
there is a firewall built into one wall: a *real*
firewall, intended to greatly impede the spread of a
real fire. That has to be what is blocking a signal.
 So, your local conditions can vary quite a bit.

 Jordan