Re: Drive Image--OT

--- Robert Holmgren  wrote:

> Drive Image
> is the one that is (or was)
> made by PowerQuest, right?

Yes, and Symantec bought out PowerQuest -- not
especially a good thing.

> Does it boot its own
> operating system the way PQ's
> Partition Magic does?

To the best of my reollection, Yes. (Haven't used DI
in quite some time.)

> If so, it may be capable of
> restoring the image -- what
> do the docs say?? Surely they have some way of
> managing this situation,
> otherwise what's the point?

Same problem as with Partition Magic: unless you have
one of the most recent versions of DI (and I can't say
for sure what the cutoff was, except that it was
defintely after v. 4.0), it won't be conversant with
the last rev. of NTFS -- not even for W2K. In that
case, the boot partition image it creates will fail
big time when you try to restore and / or boot it.

Current issue DI may or may not have some provision
for USB, but I think firewire is going to be too
exotic for them to bother with. Not enough market
share.

> why can't you use Windows' native
> Backup/Restore util to "restore"
> everything from the Firewire drive, with your
> current system up and running?
> Replace all files on the same drive?

In the case of key system files, that ain't gonna fly.

Jordan