Re: Diacritics in XW for E-Mail

Richard,

Thanks for your answer. Actually I'm a Xywrite (3.55) user.

I was wondering if there is any standard way to render French accent marks
in English letters, as you do with the umlaut in German. I don't think
there is any.

What do you do when you are forced to write French in ASCII or some other
system that simply doesn't allow diacritical marks? Medline abstracts, for
example, don't use foreign letters, as far as I know. In German, I use the
additional "e" instead of the uemlaut (there, I just did it again), but
that's not really satisfactory since as I recall from my college German,
there are some German words that use the dipthong and some that use the
umlaut. Sometimes I'll want to spell a name or foreign word, so I'll write
it in brackets and let the editor worry about it.

One solution is to just ignore the diacritical marks. The Miami Herald
decided to drop the tildes Spanish. Then they quoted somebody saying, in
Spanish, "I am 26 years old," and it came out meaning, "I have 26 anuses."
They brought back the tildes.

Norman