Re: Editor / Formatter

On 07/08/96 at 07:52 AM,
  Harmon Seaver  said (in so many words):

>GOCH@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I can only hope that whatever TTG does with XyWrite, it does not
>> destroy Xy's excellence as an editor. But as one of you recently
>> observed, XyWrite 4.017 isn't going to wear out.
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>  I think it already has -- it won't do unix documents, Mac documents, or
>anything but DOS filenames and pathnames. And probably never will.
>Starwriter, OTOH, imports and exports those formats effortlessly, gives you
>true WYSIWYG for even HTML, and also, again, effortlessly, saves files in
>*true*, clean ASCII, not requiring loading strip.prn, tyf, then
>reformatting the file to clean it up in a true text editor, reloading your
>regular printer file, etc. It also won't ever be a native app in anything
>but DOS/windoz. That's worn out.

Harmon, Harmon, Harmon. Why don't you read what I wrote just before I
observed that Xy4 won't wear out (and GOCH@UNB was making the same point).
I write. I print it out. I give it to someone--colleagues, editors,
friends. I don't contribute to the world's sludge plethora by making web
pages. I don't need WYSIWYG. One button gets me a true ascii file. Etc.
Xy4 does everything I need (minus a few bug fixes). You have other needs,
which aren't particularly writerly. Fine. It was quite clear what I meant
by it not wearing out.

--
                     Regards,
                     David

"What would life be without arithmetic, but a scene of horrors?"
            -Rev. Sydney Smith, lettr to young lady, 22 July 1835

David Auerbach              auerbach@xxxxxxxx (David Auerbach)
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU
Box 8103