More On Phantom Speedos

KD> "The Symbol Set for Speedo fonts is the 23Z symbol set which KD> refers
to the special character set in the back of the Command KD> Reference Guide."

I couldn't find this, unless you mean the extremely abbreviated one on page
Index-1, and I wouldn't call those 'special characters.'

KD> "If your Speedo fonts load correctly, this Symbol Set should be KD>
referenced."

23Z does show up near the upper left in the window after a font is chosen from
the Type Dir. The difference is in the 2nd. "black window", the one to the
right of where the Font Point Size is chosen. In the setup (mentioned
previously) where the 16 Fonts appear in the Type Dir., this box shows on
Coronet (for example) a choice of Symbol Sets 0N, 0U, 1U, 7J, 8M, 8U, 9U, 10U,
11U, & 12U.

KD> "I would be interested to know if these fonts print some of the KD>
special characters mentioned in that character set."

What char.s are you looking for? I have a snaking column version of CHARSET
that I use to check this out. I just printed it out, and I have Greek char.s,
math char.s, a large bullet, Copyright symbol, box & linedraw char.s, Ascii-397
that looks like a spool of thread. This was Coronet, printed at 9pt., with the
choice of the 7J Symbol Set.

fonts. I would be surprised if these printed as true HP KD> fonts, as a test
try printing in the Coronet font. This should KD> be a script font. It will
probably match to one of your XyWrite KD> Speedo's such as Dutch."

O.K., done. Well, it sure ain't Dutch. (I would say that it is a script font,
but not nearly as cursive as, say, Brush Script.) But there are some problems
with the results. The char.s within words, and sometimes between, are
collapsed inwards, partially overwriting one another. No RM problem with parts
of sentences disappearing, though. This text-test w/ Coronet used 12pt. size
& PC-8 Symbol Set. Just so you'll know without having to look back at the
earlier msg.s, for the above test I have 4.014, HP-4, UO=0, IM=1.

I am really still baffled that I have lost the scalable Swiss, Dutch, etc.
lineup that I had and proved could work in a recent test, per what you
suggested, with the standard HP-2 file, UO untouched and IM not specified. As
near as I can tell, nothing has changed for that particular setup, yet this
printing option is *gone*, replaced by the awful choice of Standard /
LinePrinter / Courier 10. I don't know why I should have to look at that damn
thing at all! So I may try your idea of d/l'ing another copy of HP-2. Can't
face the prospect of thrashing around with that whole INSTALL mess again!

Just in case it matters, I have noticed one difference between the two SET.DFL
files. For the setup mentioned above, which gives me the 16 Fonts, there is a
SG1986=0 at the bottom of the file. For the alternate setup on the other
partition (4.015, loads HP-2, UO undisturbed and IM not specified, used to give
me 40-some fonts but now mysteriously gives me the 3 mentioned above, but still
gives me the 40-some fonts if I load HP-4 over it), there is a SG1986=0
SG1984=1 at the bottom of the SET.DFL file. Significant?

I would like the ability to have PRINT.TMP sometimes as an option. Also miss
the III+ queries for "Print the Defined?" when something happens to be (which
you might not have noticed or intended), and esp. the one for "File Modified.
Abort anyway?" Please submit these as user requests for Development, along
with my suggestion to show
**all** the fonts you have in \BTFONTS, *all* the time, whether they are
presently available to you or not.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll keep going with these experiments until we
get to the bottom of this.