Re: VirtualBox: Can't start VM

Reply to note from (1) Paul Lagasse  Mon, 28
Jul 2014 17:02:09 -0400 and (2) Bill Troop
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:31:15 +0100

Paul:
> It's not really a true fullscreen, because the window title bar
> and the taskbar are visible. I believe this is Scaled Mode...

You're absolutely right. I was alluding to this when I said last
night that "I'm typing in a graphical representation of full-screen
DOS", and I meant to mention Scaled Mode. The first time I hit Alt-
Enter, I think I saw a fleeting message to effect of "entering
Scaled Mode", and there is, of course, a menu option for it. In any
event, the emulation of full-screen DOS on my screen is, but for the
slender title bar at top and the taskbar at bottom, absolutely
faithful to the real thing. What I find especially striking is the
absolute faithfulness to the VGA color palette that I set (via a
vintage 1988 DOS program called VPT.EXE -- VGA Palette Tool). I can
load any of my customized palettes and they're rendered exactly as
they were under Win XP. (I'm using my take on the IBM PC green-on-
black-CRT monitors as I type this message -- see attached
screenshot.)

Bill:
> What is the size of your monitor and what resolution are you
> using it at? I am assuming it is an LCD set to native
> resolution?

It's a 17-inch flat-panel Sony that I bought 10 years ago, the last
time I bought a desktop computer. I've never fiddled with the
monitor hardware settings, so I assume that it's set to native
resolution.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx