Re: Stack question

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Tue, 13 Jan 2004
15:42:47 -0500

> Since Stack puts $E onto key 28, I'm having problems using the
> spell-checker. Can I get the spell-checker to accept $E instead of the
> usual cr-lf?

> I suppose I could dedicate another key to outputting the regular cr-lf, but
> that's inelegant (particularly since the num-pad Enter key isn't available,
> I'm using it as a shift-key).

>From STACK.DOC:
In XyWrite v4.0, many Menu frames require that an unadorned Ascii-13 (ÿ0D)
be assigned to the Enter key in your .KeyBoarD file; the Menu often will
not respond to func $E (or any function or character other than "ÿ0D").
Therefore, you have several options if you wish to retain STACKability on
the Enter key:
   1) Assign $E to key# 28, and assign "ÿ0D" to key# 104 (the Grey-Enter
     key on enhanced keyboards) -- use Grey-Enter for Menus
   2) Assign $E to key# 28 in the lower-case table, and assign "ÿ0D" to
     key# 28 in other tables e.g. CTRL -- use Ctrl-Enter for Menus
   3) Dump the Menus entirely
N.B.: That's _if_ you wish to retain STACKability on the Enter key. Otherwise
just use your eXeCute key to Stack commands, and don't put $E on Enter, duh.

And BTW, "Stack puts $E onto key 28" is false. You put $E on key 28.

> Also, why do I get a "hit key again" message while using stack? It must be
> trapping some keystrokes. Which ones and why?

>From STACK.DOC:
Stack traps and EXits when it receives from the KeyBoarD any of
the following functions as the *first* characters in a key definition:
 BN BX H@ HF HL JH JM OP SH VH
Untrapped, these funcs would cause Stack to crash. In normal operation,
Stack PRoMPTs "Hit key again" in response (requests you to issue the
trapped keystroke a second time). You can avoid this benign annoyance by
coding function ÿ?£No-Operation (or *any* other function) in the
.KBD file prior to funcs that crash Stack. Example: instead of
 nn=JM,(,2,.,S,p,e,l,l,)
use
 nn=JM,(,2,.,S,p,e,l,l,)
or