Re: NB 8 and U2

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger on Sun, 01 Jan 2006
21:17:48 -0500

> what is an "overlay"

A program library, similar to U2, that gives NB it's extra functionality. The
overlays are loaded via NB.INI -- see the [Startup] stanza (ignore error msgs
-- or use Xy4 to look at them! I use Xy4 for *all* NBWin configuration tasks).
Thanks for that idea. It makes sense: a doctor shouldn't operate on
himself, and all that.
The [Startup] stanza performs a function similar to STARTUP.INT in Xy4DOS -- it
LOADs the basic configuration files into Editor. The libraries are filenamed
nbmain-c.aux, nbmain-d.aux, nbmain-i.aux, etc., and they are loaded onto
functions &C, &D, &I, etc. Examine NB.INI to see how that is done -- it is a
NEW syntax! Everything about NB.INI is new -- so learn how it works.

Aha. Will do. I wonder if they will issue some documentation for such things.
> That's how I get ascii characters. It's the R0, R1, etc. But I think that
> means 3-byte codes on the Command line.

You're not using R0, R1 to put chars on the command line; they're for putting
chars to text.
But they also work on the command line. E.g., if I do ctrl-shift (for the R values) 89 while on the command line, I get a capital Y.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx