XP colors

I've taken the plunge into XP. (I'm using Xy4DOS.)

Following Robert's instructions of 6/20/03, I tried to modify the colors by right-clicking on the blue task bar and setting them to what I wanted. Then I save them as permanent. But when I launch from the same shortcut (which is on the fast-launch, single-click part of the bottom taskbar), it flickers through my colors but almost instantly goes to white on black.

And I note that Carl in a post of 6/20/03 says to edit my path statement in autoexec.nt in the system32 folder of Windows. I got up that file in Notepad, and it had no path statement in it. I tried adding:
path=c:\xy
but that wreaked havoc: Xy got into some state where it was oscillating between two untitled windows and wouldn't stop.

Yet, when I launch the cmd.exe shortcut to just get the DOS prompt, and executed PATH, I see a path is in there.

I tried changing the Xy shortcut to run:
%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe c:\xy\editor.exe
but it didn't take the editor.exe argument, and left me at the DOS prompt.

Also, quitting Xy by hitting the little x at the upper right gives me annoying warning box--anyway around that? Quitting Xy normally is okay, though it produces a beep.

This last is really off-topic, but I'm annoyed at having the default "home" page being "Documents and Settings" and then my full name for the directory under that. These are longfilenames and I'd like to avoid them. I have an HP Pavilion ZV5000 laptop, and the HP tech support said that even to rename these to something shorter I'd have to spend a couple of hour re-installing XP from the CD. What do you guys with XP do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx