"Scrutatur"

On 25-5-97, Teresa Muir invited speculation on the "grinding, very
expressive dissonance" on "scrutatur" in Josquin's "Praeter rerum".
In matters of pictorialism I can resist anything but temptation, so
I jumped in.

Hitting the wrong button, however, I sent my response to the wrong
mailing list -- one for users of XyWrite the Miracle Word Processor.

One of the accidental recipients, after offering disclaimers about
both her musical knowledge and her latinity, ventured a comment which
I thought interesting enough to pass on (with the writer's permission)
to this list: