Re: OT: Who said it?

Harry Binswanger wrote:
Interesting. Is that illustrated by the fact that you can substitute "abide" (no preposition) for "put up with"? On the other hand, "get a kick out of" seems to call for a preposition, as long as you keep the passive voice: "get enjoyment from" or "get enjoyment from."
Ooops. I didn't mean to repeat myself. The second time it was to be "get
exhilarated by" but I wasn't sure I was spelling "exhilarated" right, so I
looked for another word, not realizing it was the same I'd just used.
The below is interesting. I'd never heard of phrasal verbs. And the split
infinitive issue is one to which I've more or less succumbed. And what
would I do with:
"It's an issue to which I've, in conformity with modern practice to which
I've, in my dotage, on which others on the list have commented, attained
become accustomed succumbed."

--Harry
No, it isn't the existence of the one-word synonym. It's rather a result of English's being, in its structure at least, a Germanic language. Both Germanic and romance languages employ prefixes and suffixes to form new words, but German at least has two different systems when forming verbs with "prefixes": some prefixes are separable: in certain syntactic situations, the "prefix" is transposed from the beginning of the verb and placed at the end of the expression. Thus the verb for "to close" (e.g., a door) is zumachen. But if you want to ask someone to close the door, please, you would say "Machen sie dir Tür zu, bitte" (Literally, Make You the door to, please.)
I was once trying to explain why the "Never end a sentence with a
preposition" rule is rather a superstition, and recalled that bit of
German syntax. It cast considerable light on the English pattern: certain
apparent "prepositions" in English are parts of what are called phrasal
verbs, and those verbs appear to operate much as verbs with separable
prefixes do in German (except that in English the "prefix" always trails
the verb): to lay out, to bring up, to put down, to make up (in any of
several senses), to go over, and dozens of others are not verbs plus
prepositions, but phrasal verbs, and in many cases attempting to avoid the
final placement of the adverbial element would result in balderdash: "why
did you have to up that bring?" (Anybody here know Dutch? That is closer
to English than German is, and I would be curious to know if there is any
support for this thesis in Dutch syntax.)
On the other hand, many adverbs in English function much as inseparable
prefixes do in German, and such an adverb often must go between the "to"
and the rest of the infinitive; "thoroughly" (which in German often is
represented by a new verb beginning "ver-") is one such. "They were unable
to thoroughly resolve the complex problems that..." Where else could you
put "thoroughly"? If you plunk it down between "unable" and "to", it
squints: does it modify "unable" or "resolve"? "To resolve thoroughly the
complex problems" is not English. We don't normally separate finite action
verbs from their objects; no one would write or say, "We must resolve
throughly the problems." And the defining relative clause beginning "that"
must come right after its antecedent.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx