Re: tame running? -- Solution to "jerky cursor" problem!

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> > One always has to ask -- no NEW bugs, problems, stability issues introduced
>
> Excess of caution, IMO (OS/2 habits don't apply). 3.5 months is long enough.
> Several days is enough with this M$ stuff, given the number of downloaders.
> Besides, what choice do you have?

Yeah, I guess you're right.

> The real situation is that the M$ operating
> system code is completely out of control. It is so bloated, and has so many
> disparate contributions from different areas of the company, that nobody
> (literally) has an overall understanding of it anymore. Its taken M$ ten or
> twelve generations of code, starting with v3.0, to get the thing under control
> and debugged. Finally, with W2K (v5.0) and WXP (v5.1), it pretty much works
> correctly. Each new OpSys and Service Pack is really just a bug fix plus new
> functionality built on old code. The scary thing would be if they tried to
> write a new OpSys from scratch. You'd have to wait ten years to get it to the
> debugged state of W2K SP4!

Amen.

Already with this latest, in-progress system, I can tell you that the MS boot loader
is *really* dumb, and definitely from hunger. When the boot files gets hosed -- and a
number of things including Win itself can readily do this -- the repair procedures
aren't very good either. I have a fresh W2K boot partition that used to load in
50 seconds, then would not load at all until I "repaired" it, and it now loads in a
laborious 250 seconds. So, I'm gonna can the whole thing and redo it from scratch.
Luckily, not too large a time / work investment went into it, thus far.

Jordan