Re: U2 version 119

Robert Holmgren wrote:
** Reply to message from Judith Davidsen  on Sun, 08
Jan 2006 00:36:03 -0500

Judith:
\giants directory appears in text area, with cursor on first line
page will not scroll, so cursor disappears below screen

Well, that's because you didn't change SETTINGS.DFL from 80/50 to 80/25 to
harmonize with the settings in your Shortcut's Properties.

I did, I did, I did, I did, I did--you told me to and I did!
Now -- why in the
world wouldn't you do that? You even SAY that you didn't do it, so you must
realize that it is necessary.
I suspected it was necessary but at that point I didn't want to
do anything without asking.
I don't get it. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it, no?

Yes, she whined, you did. And then I did.
They MUST be the same! ANY time the cursor disappears out of sight, there
is only ONE reason, and that's because these values don't *agree*.
Okay, everything agrees except: There is a settings.dfl deep in
xy4\pictures\orig that has an sl=50. I don't know what orig is or
where it came from but it has a handful of old settings files, a
startup and a kbd; maybe I created it as a place to hide
superceded things and forgot about it, maybe Hell Dimension
created it when the hard drive broke, maybe the file retrieval
guy created it, maybe Hell created it when they replaced the
motherboard to no avail.
Anyway, to the question: is the sl=50 in
xy4\pictures\orig\settings.dfl messing things up? Can I change it
to sl=25, store and load without further messing things up?
I can't reproduce this "jiggly cursor" problem. I get clean behavior. It
sounds, if I understand what you're seeing, like you're caught in some sort of
loop.

Here's what I don't at all understand: You're not using this in any way
remotely related to the purpose of the frame. The frame is for managing Long
File Names!!! In other words, for calling a file like this:
 CA My Family Vacation in Sunny Sardinia.Spring 2005.document
and then perhaps SToring the same file under a different LONG FILE NAME, e.g.
 ST It Rained Every Day.txt
Command HELP ST for a summary of Usage.
The use of ST  for long filenames seems to be something new,
or new at least since I last updated. I can't find any mention of
long files names in a couple of U2s I have from 2002. I've always
used ST successfully from the time I first tried
U2--2000?--until this week.
At any rate, as I have said, I am perfectly happy to retrain
myself to use  when SToring.

Now, granted, it ought to work equally well with 8.3 filenames -- and for me,
it does. Perfectly. Something, I suspect, is goofed up in your system.
If I could only get back the ability to cursor through longer-than-screen-length directories, I'd be content. (And ready to move on to figuring out how to print directly from XY, which was the whole point of upgrading to v119 in the first place.) There may--or may not--be a clue in my earlier response to Patricia: "Weird thing, though: If I call settings.dfl and do absolutely nothing with it but ST or AB, I can scroll all the way to the end of any long directory, and files store properly with ST--but only as long as I stay in that session. If I quit and start a new session, I'm back to the problems; so I call and AB settings.dfl and everything's fine. This is both infull screen called from start--->run and the box called from the desktop shortcut. " Or she may be right about its being a hardware problem.

Thanks for your help.
Judith Davidsen