Re: printer problems {again}

Leslie,

I saw Harry's message (below) after  I posted the verbatim autoexec.bat and config.sys files. Does your advice still apply? Should I just rename the autoexec.bat file? And what does it mean exactly to rename it "at DOS"? Do I call up the C: directory and write REN AUTOEXEC.BAT AUTOEXEC.SAV in the command field, then put the cursor on AUTOEXEC.BAT, and hit F9?

No, you don't use F9 in DOS, only the ENTER key. F9 is used in XyWrite not DOS.

 (In other words, is the C: directory one and the same as DOS and/or the "root directory"? )

The root directory is named C:\

Your "pause" problem is undoubtedly that line with REMIND in it just before the line with WIN.

I would recommend editing C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT to deactivate that line by putting REM followed by a space in front of it. But that's after we get Xy running.

First of all, since you are not techno-savvy, be assured that the AUTOEXEC.BAT file is something you can mess with all you want. It's not critical--just sets up your preferences, in effect, for how DOS runs. Take things out, put things in, it won't matter much--it doesn't change anything that will cause you to lose data or blow up your computer.

The CONFIG.SYS file is pretty similar, but more technical. Still, not to worry about fiddling with it (or even eliminating it).

In your whole AUTOEXEC.BAT file, there are only two lines that matter to you:

prompt $p$g    -- this makes the C: prompt look right (so that it shows you what directory you're in)

win   -- this automatically launches Windows. But you don't need that. You can always type:

win

and hit the ENTER key to do exactly the same thing by hand. In fact, in your case I'd recommend that--it gives you the ability to avoid running Windows altogether if you want to. And if you're just running Xy on this computer, you don't need Windows to be running (on the other hand, to be consistent with what I said in another post, if you *are* running windows, it is pointless to exit it to run Xy: run it in what is called "a DOS box" (which is just a window with DOS running in it.))

I know DOS, so I find it easier than Windows. It's less confusing. No mouse, and one command at a time. But if you are more comfortable with Windows and mousing and clicking, fine.

So what I'd do--the simplest thing--is the following. (If you can print this email out, I'd recommend that, so you can have it in hand to follow these steps.)

1. rename your current AUTOEXEC.BAT to some other name (any one you can remember--such as AUTOEXEC.SAV) and do the same for CONFIG.SYS. Again, the procedure, done at the C:\ prompt is:

a) Boot up
b) Get to DOS one way or the other
c) Do the following to make sure you are in your root directory:

cd \

after this and every other command is typed in, hit the ENTER key to execute it.

Then, you should see the C:\> prompt. Do:

rename autoexec.bat autoexec.sav
rename config.sys config.sav

Then you do the following:

copy con autoexec.bat

When you ENTER, you will get a blank line. At that point you type in this (this and everything else has to be typed exactly as I have it, including spaces)

prompt $p$g

then type a control-Z, and you should see a ^Z appear. Then hit ENTER. That will produce an AUTOEXEC.BAT file with just the one line: prompt $p$g.

As to your CONFIG.SYS file your CONFIG.BK version of it looks okay, so make it operative by, at the C:\ prompt, doing

rename config.bk config.sys

Now you need to know what directory Editor.exe is in. It is probably either in your root directory or in one named something like C:\xy

If you're with me, you now have a one-line AUTOEXEC.BAT file, and a valid CONFIG.SYS file. They only take effect after you re-boot. So re-boot.

Rather quickly, you will land at the DOS prompt:

C:\>

To check whether or not your EDITOR.EXE is in the root directory, do:

dir editor.exe

If the resulting display shows EDITOR.EXE you have little left to do. But let's assume it isn't there. You have to find it and then go to it. (You go to it by using the CD command, as we did earlier (CD stands for change directory)).

If EDITOR.EXE is not in your root directory, try:

cd \xy

Either that command is accepted or it isn't. If it is, do:

dir editor.exe

and if EDITOR.EXE is there, fine. Otherwise, you should be back at the C:\ prompt, and you should do:

dir

That will show you everything in your root directory, including its subdirectories. One of them should be the one with EDITOR.EXE in it and which one should be obvious from its name. Say it's: XY3. If so, do:

cd \xy3

Again, DOS doesn't care about capitalization.

One way or the other, you navigate to the directory with EDITOR.EXE in it. Then simply do:

editor

That will bring up XyWrite, and all should be well. Then we go back to the tests for printing.

And once XyWrite is operative, you can edit AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS (in your root directory) to your heart's delight. I would definitely take out the line with SMARTDRIVE in it--it's a bad thing to have. But with Xy running, you just SAve the files after you've edited them, without having to go through the renaming procedure and/or the COPY CON procedure.

My procedure above means that you will be running DOS not Windows. If at any time you want to launch Windows, you get to a DOS prompt and type:

win

If that doesn't start Windows, it only means that you need a PATH command in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file, or to enter one at the C: prompt. The PATH command tells DOS which directories to look in to find files and commands. Assuming you eventually get Xy working, you should add to your AUTOEXEC.BAT file the following line (where C:\xy; refers to whatever directory XyWrite is in):

path=C:\;C;\dos;C:\xy;C:\windows

You can, at any time, enter a path manually at the DOS C: prompt:

path=C:\;C:\dos;C:\xy;C:\windows

When you use the PATH command (or an equivalent line in AUTOEXEC.BAT) make sure you have typed all the colons, backslashes, and semicolons right--it's tricky.

This will all seem arcane and technical, but DOS is very simple-minded and very forgiving. Don't be worried. And anyone here (not just me) can help you with any problems.

Because there are so many steps and because DOS is so literal-minded, you may at some point get an unexpected result. It could be that I've overlooked something, too. But don't worry, you're not doing anything that can't be undone or easily remedied.

By the same renaming procedure you can always go back to your original files, but first you have to rename the existing files, so the names become available:

Note: you do the four commands below ONLY if you get into trouble and want to go back to where you were before we did anything:

rename autoexec.bat autoexec.sv1
rename config.sys config.sv1
rename autoexec.sav autoexec.bat
rename config.sav config.sys

You also suggested looking at the autoexec.bat file and changing it. But i wouldn't know have a clue as to what to do. Perhaps you'll see something wrong in that file now that I've posted it.

Yes, I'm suspicious of the line:
C:\DOS\COMMAND /C REMIND

That "remind" is something I don't know about. It's certainly unnecessary. And the line:
LH /L:0;1,42384 /S C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE

--that's invoking a flakey utility that I wouldn't use.

ALso, I tried your last suggestion, to look on the first boot-up screen for something like "Hit del to enter CMOS," but didn't find anything like that (unless it went by too fast).

It does show up for only about 4 seconds, and is usually at the bottom of the black screen. Hopefully, you won't need to mess with this. Oh, it might say: "Hit del to enter Set-up." Sometimes it's the semicolon, or other key, it tells you to hit. But let's not assume this is the problem.

Again, many thanks...Leslie

No problem. We're good at hand-holding.

By the way, if Carl should post something different, I'd recommend taking his advice rather than mine. It's not that mine will cause any problems. Everything I'm suggesting is completely reversible (per above). But Carl knows more.

Regards,
Harry

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx