Re: OT: Net traffic jams?

Reply to note from Manuel Castelao  Sun, 14 Jan 2007
20:50:40 +0100

> Patricia M. Godfrey wrote: Does anyone who keeps more au
> courant with things than I do know if the Net has been hit with
> some kind of problems lately? Return of the Blaster Worm?
> Widespread DDoSes?...
>
> Patricia, I have been suffering the same problem but only with
> the messages sent to the list. I am afraid of a problem in the
> list server.

Manuel, Patricia, all:

The list server is constantly bombarded with spam and infected mail.
(Subscribers are shielded from it, but as list "owner" I receive an
error message in my mailbox for every nonsubscriber message that the
list server receives. Lucky me.) The number of nonsubscriber
messages with apparently malicious attachments has been unusually high
recently -- 50 or so in the last two or three days. Happily, the list
server's defenses against attacks of this sort are strong, but the
increased volume of unwanted mail may be slowing down the distribution
of subscriber posts. These onslaughts seem to come and go in cycles,
and we can only hope that this one passes quickly -- although with the
proliferation of zombie computers on the Net maybe we shouldn't hold
our breath.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx