Re: accented letters

I like the way the accented characters have drawn out a few hitherto
silent voices on this list! My own solution is almost identical to
Patricia's, though I didn't know there was a standard keyboard layout that
I was matching when I came up with my keystroke combos back in 1990.
It's possible that the match is not a complete coincidence, as I used to
type with a Prestige Elite "ball" with accented characters installed on an
IBM Selectric II, and I preserved the position of the tréma/diaeresis,
etc., from those old typing habits when I started using XyWrite. Is it
possible that IBM was actually following an international keyboard layout
in the pre-computing era by putting the tréma on the key for double
quotation marks...?

Mr Warner's solution looks extremely elegant--wish I'd have thought of
that! But anything is better (from the typist's perspective) than the
pedal-tone ALT plus a three-note numeric arpeggio in the right hand!

Carlo Caballero
thyrsus@xxxxxxxx