Need help printing different symbol sets on HP lasers

To:Xywrite@xxxxxxxx

Dear XyQuest Folks at The Technology Group

    One of the biggest advantages of XyWrite III+ was that a
single file could be printed on a multitude of printers without
modifying a single character in the file. Thus I could print out
a rough draft on a dot matrix, and then print a final copy out on
a laser printer, then go back to the dot-matrix, without changing
the file for the printer.
    With my current setup with XyWrite 4, I have an old QMS
PS-810 by my computer for rough drafts, and an HP 4 for final
drafts with network access. To print a Greek beta (alt-shift
225) with the QMS, I must change to the symbol font before each
occurrence, and change back to the text font immediately
thereafter. Then to print on the HP4, I must replace these
triangles so that instead of switching fonts, I switch into the
MATH-8 sy set, then back to the regular set. Unfortunately,
there seems to be a glitch somewhere so I can't even get betas by
this method (I can get other
Greek letters), so what I have done is to replace the beta with a
"printer insert" triangle to send the escape codes to switch into
the MATH-8 symbol set, plus send alt-shift-98 and the codes to
switch back to the text symbol set. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!
    For HP printer files at least, why don't you forgo the SY
triangles completely, and instead have one main substitution
table that will automatically switch into the appropriate symbol
set (i.e. switch into the
MATH-8 for an alt-shift 230 or an alt-shift-520, then switch back
to a standard symbol set for Roman text).  Most of the text
fonts have all the symbol sets, so this seems completely
feasible. If someone wants a weird character not in the XyWrite
Character set, they can use the PI triangles at that point!

    For the QMS printer, it is more difficult to use a
substitution table for this problem, since fonts are being
switched, and there isn't a
"standard font". You need to find a way to address this
problem-- perhaps you already have-- if so, please tell me, I'd
love to know!
    Again, the goal is to be able to print out a file on any
printer simply by loading a different printer file!

    Thank you for your assistance,
    John Andersland Serial #423-4703-876-J