Re: OT semi-colons

Sometimes, of course, things just are confusing. For much of my
youth I heard "Silent Night" as taking place around three people:
"round yon virgin, mother, and child". I kind of do know that the
exigencies of singing the music introduce the misleading pause, but
there often is something that confuses--especially if one (speaker or
writer) is trying not to sound stilted and long-winded. We mostly
avoid the confusion by relying on context--which is why individual
sentences taken out of context so often sound either confusing or opaque.
            Cheers,
                David Kronenfeld