Re: XyWrite and TeX

Brian.Henderson@xxxxxxxx wrote:

This is wholly alien to me. I know it's an old canard, but going back to the mid-80s, why and how did IBM put over the change from the XT keyboard to the AT (the removal of the function keys on the left and the putting of ctrl and alt in absurd positions).
I miss the Royal Standard keyboard from the mid-1950s, which had an elongated tab key about where the return key would turn up on electric models. You could hit it with your palm. I miss it but I don't expect to see it again. And for sure I don't spend any time whining about it.
I'm not a touch-typist, and my (PC) experience with keyboards doesn't go back beyond the current standard (I did start out on a mainframe terminal with a keyboard dedicated to text manipulation...I miss it). But I know of a keyboard "quirk" I think has to be the worst yet. Compaq "dumped" on our company (we had a supply & maintenance contract) a bunch of keyboards with a split spacebar...with the left half being a backspace key! You COULD change it to a space key with a complicated maneuver, but it would always revert at reboot. Untold man-hours were spent searching for a way to make "space" the default and when it was determined to be impossible the whole lot was dumped in the trash (for some perverse reason I actually salvaged one). It was impossible to use without constantly deleting last characters...sometimes you'd notice...sometimes not.
I'm glad you saved yours. It could go on exhibit if anybody ever creates a National Museum of "What WERE They Thinking."
-Brian H.
-- Leslie Bialler, Columbia University Press lb136@xxxxxxxx 61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023 212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup