Re: Re Need advice re a new laser printer

As some have said for years, all problems with printing from XyWrite can be
eliminated by using a PostScript printer. Widths of the fonts never change
and there are no compatibility problems I have ever heard of. Of course,
you will not see real Adobe Postscript on any cheap laser printer. But,
again, I have not heard of any modern emulation of Postscript that doesn't
work impeccably for the kind of simple printing task XyWrite does.
(Problems if they occur are much more likely to be related to page
imposition software used by professional printers - and even so, I think
after all these years the bugs have been whacked in the emulations.)
I also would be queasy recommending one of the cheaper laser printers. I
would recommend one of the better models from HP or Lexmark.
Regarding duplexing, that is, as I know from extensive reviewing
experience, excellent on all the Lexmark 'network class' lasers, i.e. the
T-series. Moreover, duplexing is at full speed on Lexmarks, where it is
only half speed on HPs. To counterbalance that, however, Lexmarks only
print at half speed at 1200 dpi while HPs print at full speed 1200 dpi. At
600 dpi, duplexing would be double the speed on a Lexmark. I have not
personally extensively used the HP duplexers, so cannot comment further,
but I imagine they work well. What I invariably find disappointing are any
of the sub-$400 printers. Yes, they are very cheap. Yes, they are very
cheaply made. They are slower, more likely to misfeed, more likely print
badly, more likely to malfunction than their slighly more expensive
'network class' cousins.
And now, having briefly surfaced again, let me again try to get some
information from Bitstream about our Speedo issues.