Re: Is Xy 4 now freeware?/my advice abandonware

But Kari, have you considered whether there is valid copyright still?

While it is true that since 1976, there has been an enormous
protectionist trend in copyright in the US, whoever may be the
copyright holder of XyWrite (and nobody knows anything solid on this
issue, except that TTG is assumed to be the holder and that they have
been 'unavailable' for decades), the trademark 'XyWrite' probably now
counts as abandoned, under US trademark law. It has become difficult
to abandon copyright; but it may be even more difficult to find out
if there is a valid owner for XyWrite. It is clear that some rotten
lawyering has occurred. I imagine it is possible that NB may be under
some restrictions; and they may be prevented from stating what those
restrictions are through NDA.

I am inclined to believe that no valid copyright, patent, or
trademark protection now exists for XyWrite.