Re: xy 4.018 and counter

	Curioser and curioser. With your file open, when I issue Robert's command
(VA/NV $LH) I get 50,100,22. That is also what I get when I call up an
old file of mine, so it must be my default, not anything set mysteriously
in your file. (Though a search of my Xy directory yields no files
containing a lh= value.) But according to the explanation of this default
in the CG, that should mean that my superscripts would be a whole line
above the baseline (100 percent). They certainly don't look that high on
screen. Anyway, though this is a fascinating question and worth
exploring, I suspect it's a red herring here.
The file you sent us has been cut and pasted, no? I mean, you copied the actual notes into it, rather than letting linktx do it? So please send us two short files, one with some text, one with a few notes, and the EXACT code you use to link. I'm also puzzled by your combining SS with LINKTX and then having no US command. Remember that SS saves to the style ALL defaults in effect when it's issued--its great strength, but also a great weakness and a cause of endless puzzlement on occasion.
I would also suggest that another way to reset the counter numbers before appending the notes would be to create a template file for each chapter, including all the formatting code and styles you need, and then embedding ≪C1=1≫ at the end. As you go to write each chapter, MErge that file. Then at the end, when you're ready to import the notes, just go to the end and import them. The reset code will be there.
I'm also concerned that this method of creating notes could get you into a LOT of trouble. Yes, Xy does choke on a large number of endnotes (though I don't recall that it did that when running under Novell DOS, so this may be something else to lay at Redmond's door). Have you tried using footnotes while you're writing and even pulling proofs, and then cutting and pasting them to endnotes (three XPL routines for that around, RH's, Leslie's, and mine) when you're all done? For some 15 years I made a specialty of copy editing stuff with lots of notes, bibliographies, references, and other apparatus criticus, and the number of times I saw notes out of sync with their numbers in the text would make your hair curl. How we managed before computers I cannot imagine, because even with them, things can get royally scrambled.

Patricia