Re: Switching in and out of fullscreen dosemu session? - more re wmctrl

Rafe, it's occurred to me that wmctrl might be of use to you (and to me)
after all (wmctrl is in the repositories).
You can assign a command, such as "wmctrl -a firefox" to a key combo,
such as Winkey-w (my mnemonic here being "web browser"), so that leaving
fullscreen dosemu and switching to Firefox is just two key combos,
Ctrl-Alt-f and Winkey-w. Switching back might be Winkey-x, Ctrl-Alt-f.
The -a option equals "Activate the window by switching to its desktop
and raising it" -- so this should work with your multiple
desktop/workspace approach; you can test things out from a terminal
before assigning it to a key.
I don't know about U 8.10, but Gnome in U 9.04 now appears to let you
assign an unlimited number of personal keyboard shortcuts via Keyboard
Shortcuts. So I'm using a system where Winkey plus a key launches a
program, Ctrl-Winkey etc launches as root, and (now) Shift-Winkey etc
switches to the running program. Alt-Tab becomes mostly unnecessary.
If you were to have multiple Firefox windows (instead of one Firefox
window with multiple tabs) you'd have a problem, because confusion can
result when different windows have the same words in the titlebar (for
example, if you run "wmctrl -a dosemu" and you have windows entitled
"XyWrite - Dosemu" and "Compose: Re: Switching in and out of fullscreen
dosemu session?"). On the other hand, running "wmctrl -a Compose" will
find and raise the Compose mail window for Thunderbird while "wmctrl -a
thunderbird" will raise the main Thunderbird window.
Take a look at wmctrl -- it may be helpful if you mostly rely on a
regular group of programs. In my re-look, I'm finding that trying to
toggle a hidden window doesn't seem to work, but I think that's moot if
you run most apps fullscreen on yr netbook; the "-a" switch will
probably do quite nicely.

Paul Lagasse