Re: RE Amending messages in XY3

At 02-08-99 -0700, you wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Paul wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Tim and Leslie, for the responses to my query about amending
>> messages in XY3. I can
>> confirm that they are hard coded into the editor. I've tried a quick
>> experiment, hacking with a hex editor to try and change F3# to ESC (where #
>> represents a space). Afterwards the editor would no longer run. I think
>> thats probably as far as I will go down this road.
>
>Possibly I'm missing something here, but "F3 " is three characters long,
>and the escape character is but one. If you've shifted half the contents
>of your editor program a byte or two in the course of making your changes,
>of course it won't run successfully.

OR is it that "F3" is two chracters long and the space after it was
significant in that it separated the two characters (F3) from the next
instruction or whatever. By replacing "F3 " with "ESC" (the three
characters) you lost an important space. So what happens iof you just
replace "F3" by "ES" and keep the space?

PW