Re: Enter Key / Selection by cursor

** Reply to message from "M.C."  on Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:41:05
+0100

Manuel:

> I am already singing the IBM AT
> Keyboard blues (the classical IBM touch + Function keys on the left).

I would NEVER use anything else. I have a lifetime supply stocked up. PS2
ports are the real upcoming problem -- you must have a PS2 port to use these
old keyboards, and they're disappearing on modern notebooks; there are
functional PS2-to-USB converters (NOT mere gender changers, they don't work),
but the converters are slow (MODE command is absolutely required to raise
responsiveness to reasonable level) -- I use docking stations and port
replicators with my Thinkpads in order to get real PS2 ports. If you're
singing the blues because you need such a keyboard, there's a guy who repairs
and refurbishes Northgates in the U.S., and also sells them for reasonable
amounts (I think I paid US$110 for an early version Northgate 102 with an
indestructible all-metal chassis -- later models used plastic). He would ship
to Spain -- there are currency conversion calculators on his website. His name
is Robert Tibbetts , and his website is:

 http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/

He's one of these loud flag-waving patriot types that you find in America and
nowhere else; he thinks that you really need to know where he stands. You have
to immediately rush to the dead bottom of his page and turn off the music. But
-- he's got the keyboards, he knows a fair amount about them, and he cleans
them up well -- they're in "nearly-new" condition.

Another reason to plug in an external keyboard is that it's really the only way
to exploit the full potential of a XyWrite KBD file, to use all the available
mappings.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx