Re: Pre-Xy

I wrote five of my six books on Xy; great programme

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Crutchfield"
To: ;
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: Pre-Xy

> I started using XyWrite II back in the early 1980's. I've stuck with it
all these years, and now use NotaBene extensively for academic writing.

> My first experience with word processing was when I used a Texas
Instruments Silent 700 terminal attached to a mainframe computer over a 300
baud phone line. The TI 700 came with "bubble memory" that allowed me to
store 250 lines of text. I used the line-at-a-time editor to manually input
raw text and formatting codes (which sort of looked like wordstar's infamous
"dot" commands), and then uploaded the text to the mainframe via dialup. I
then ran program on the mainframe to process the text and print it out. It
would take about 30-40 minutes to receive my printout, and then I'd start
the editing/revising/formatting task all over again.

> Somehow, I managed to produce a 249 page Ph.D. dissertation that way.
>
> The TI 700 terminal I used is now on exhibit a the Smithsonian here in
Washington, DC as a relic of ancient computer technology. We've come a long
way!